»

Friday, February 08, 2008

Putting Down Roots...

Today, I'm sharing a bit more from that little book I mentioned in yesterday's post.

Photobucket


Paul shares about a family who has just returned from the mission field, and the mother is asked what it was she found so overwhelming upon returning to the U.S. Her response? "The potato chip aisle in the store."

Did you know that Lay's Brand produces over 40 different types of potato chip? That's NUTS, people! And when you've been to a foreign country where a potato itself thrills you no end...you realize just how nuts that is.

Now, let's move it into the realm of the Spirit, shall we? How many different types of churches (denomination, style, size, etc.) do we have in this country? And how healthy is it for the Body of Christ?

Before you come flyin' at me with your theological debates primed and ready, let me say this...I'm not knocking denominations. I'm just saying, how long have you been serving where you are currently at?

Most Christians spend an average of 2-3 years in one church. The average pastor spends only 7-8 years as pastor of one church (in our denomination, the average is much less). Now, somebody tell me how you can put down roots that way?

So many believers are saying they feel so disconnected from the Body. I know of one woman who feels no one in her church "gets her". My question is "has she been there long enough to be gotten--and how 'there' is she?"

When my husband pastored 14 years ago, we lived along the Sacramento River, and we had lots and lots of almond orchards surrounding us. In 1995, our area was severely flooded, to the point we had to evacuate to my parents home 45 minutes away.

As we drove along the highway, we saw tree after tree after tree lying on its side, root ball sticking up in the air. Later on we read how most of the almond crop for that year was destroyed by flood.

The reason? These were trees with shallow roots. They hadn't been planted long enough to go deep into the soil, so when the flood came, they popped up and toppled over. Had the flood waited another few years, the root ball would have been deep enough that the trees might have stayed planted.

With all of the variety and choice in the Body of Christ, I wonder if we stay put long enough to take root. I've watched in my own small town as "this church" become the "happening place to worship" and people move in droves to worship there...only to have it shift within a couple of years and then people move over there.

Or the worship/children's ministry/fellowship changes and doesn't meet my needs, so I'm going to go over here now. How will it ever be what it can be if people don't put down roots and help be the change they want to see?

So, let me ask you again...how long have you been in your current church? And just how "in" are you? Are you putting down deep roots? You need to...and don't worry...God will move you when it's time to move.

I'm just saying...

Deena

3 comments:

Pastor Dave said...

Ok, I might be biased because I am your husband, but you know I hardly every post a comment on anyone's blog...even yours, but you are right on with this one!

My personal belief is that there are waaaay more churches than there needs to be, because of the reasons you mention in your blog.

Thanks for being my wife, and my sister in Christ.

Your hippie pastor husband,
Dave

Sharon Brumfield said...

YES!.....and AMEN!
I have heard a lot lately that not only are people not connected but that they are not even going to church because of things in the past. I am surprised how many women in blogdom are not going to church. It really surprises me.
One thing that God has really been dealing with me about is the lack of people willing to submit themselves to the spiritual authority in the church. And because they don't submit and trust and get connected--they hop as soon as someone ticks them off. I wonder if they ever thought that maybe God allowed that person to come into their lives to reveal to them something that God wanted to change.
If we can't learn to deal with our stuff within the family--why would God want to bring others in to the mess?
And so people take their mess and start another church. And still the lessons are not learned.
Sad.
Good thoughts girl!

Denise said...

Awesome post, I am in total agreement with you on this sis, bless you.