»

Thursday, January 17, 2008

What Will WE Do?

So, there I was, sitting at my desk this morning, doing my work, minding my own business...

(For those who DON'T know, I work part-time as a church secretary).

I was putting together this week's bulletin for church, when the announcement about the Wednesday evening Bible study caught my eye.

Now, I'm familiar with this particular piece of news...I designed it. It runs every week. It's an ongoing ministry of the church I work for.

What held my attention was this thought...

Photobucket


It took several years for this church to begin having a Wednesday night Bible study. There was some squabbling, some discussion, some bickering, some badgering, and finally a surrender. But it took a long, long time and a lot of hard work to begin a weekly Bible study.

And Bible study is good...worth fighting for...don't misunderstand me. What hit me was we're like a group of medical students who go to medical school to learn how to be doctors...

...and we keep going and going and going and going...once in awhile we'll pick up a scalpel...test it's weight...polish it up...and put it back in our nice and tidy medical bag.

Or a group of law students who practice court but never really hold court, buffing our briefcases and toting our huge law books back and forth, impressing one another with our torts and briefs (now that just sounded SO wrong!)

What's the use of going to medical school if you won't one day practice medicine?

What's the use of going to law school if you won't one day practice law? (Maybe that's why so many are so bad at it...their still practicing?? LOL!! Sorry, my bad...)

Why study God's Word if we're not going to one day go out there in the world and use it?

When's the last time you watched your church fight for an evangelism program? Struggle to fit in a Bible study...sure, no problem! But witnessing? Evangelism? Street preaching?

Ummm...let me check my datebook...

The cool thing about the church I attend (no, it's not where I work...long story for another post), we have one gentleman who is fighting for our church to beginning spreading the gospel more actively.

What I find even cooler?

He's not waiting. Did you catch that? He's not waiting for the rest of us to pick up the call...he's called, he knows it, and he's just waiting for the rest of us to CATCH up!

See, the thing is this...

We'll have all eternity to learn about God, His ways, and His thoughts...

We'll have all eternity to worship Him in word, song, and deeds...

We'll have all eternity to fellowship with fellow believers and to share our testimonies among the faithful...

But we only have here and now to share the gospel message with someone. And far too often, I find myself doing the first three, and neglecting the one thing I can only do here and now.

Photobucket


Who will spread the Good News? He's waiting on YOU and ME. How about it?

Be blessed, and keep studying...but let's get out into the "operating room", shall we? Let's do a full court press for Jesus! (Sorry, just couldn't help myself...get it..."court"..."law"....oh, never mind!)

Deena

Deena

6 comments:

Denise said...

I am ready sweet sis, lets go!!

Nise' said...

Amen sister! At Awana last night a young girl heard His call and accepted Jesus as her Savior! Angels rejoiced!

Unknown said...

I totally agree!
I find a lot of "church" people have become complacent, comfortable, stuck in a rut, or whatever you want to call it, but they are not out there moving in their authority, and spreading God's word.
Isn't that our great commission?? We need to come out of the building, stop preaching to the choir (even though I'm sure some of them really need it!!) and take the Word to the streets!
Awesome post!
Blessings!

Sharon Brumfield said...

VERY good post.
Very well thought out and full of truth!
I will say this. How will they know unless we go.
BUT FOR PETE'S SAKE--when you go could you please share His love and not the crud.??????

This is what we are dealing with now.
We went out and brought them into the fold and then realized how many of our own were so sick.
And if the sickness is not healed--it spreads.
In our church it has been two steps forward and then smack back on our butts. One day hopefully we will finally be able to move forward and stay there.

Robin said...

Awesome post! Makes me think of a book I'm reading now - Justice in the Burbs by Will & Lisa Samson.

Lyndee said...

I agree and love your dealing with issues in so many ways! Keep it up. I will read the book by the way! I have 4 adult kids.