»

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

More Random Thoughts From The Pew...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


A friend read my blog yesterday, and commented that she often wondered if, while she was sitting there waiting for God to show up, He was sitting next to her, asking what she was waiting for.

That triggered another thought, from a story about Elisha. Remember after Elisha had just battled the prophets of Ba'al? Jezebel threatened his life, and he ran for it. He was exhausted, drained, and severely depressed.

If anyone was in need of a mighty move of God, it was him. But God didn't do a mighty move. He didn't show up in a big way.

He wasn't in the earthquake, the fire, or the whirlwind.

He was in the soft, gentle whisper.

He's the same God today as He was then.

In our age of shock and awe, bigger is better, loud is attention-getting, iPod listening, internet loving, gadget driven culture...I have to wonder...

Do we miss God because we're waiting for the **BANG**, the **FLASH**, the **MIRACULOUS**??

Because, quite honestly, sometimes I find Him more easily in the friend's email than I do in the televangelist's flashy message...or in the hug from the 93 year old widow than from the graphics driven worship songs...or in lying on my bed, tears streaming into my hair, crying out to Him--than I do in hands raised all over the sanctuary.

Sometimes, when I'm looking for big, flashy, and attention-grabbing...I need to remember He's not found there. And maybe, just maybe...I won't miss Him so much.

Just a thought...

Be blessed, and be a blessing...doesn't have to be big...just has to be real.

Deena

2 comments:

Denise said...

I truly agree dear one.

Sharon Brumfield said...

Good thoughts!
And not just because you quoted someone.:)
For some reason I have been having a problem loading your post on the subscribe list.
I had to go back to a post where I listed you to be able to get to you.
Whew!
I have been hearing Him in the silence surrounding my pool.Thanks girl.