»

Monday, August 20, 2007

Random Thoughts From The Pew...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Something hit me yesterday as I was sitting in church--and no, it wasn't a 25 pound King James Bible!

As I was sitting and observing, this thought struck me, and it richocheted all through my soul (which, I suppose, would make me hole-y??):

Church isn't for us. It's for Him.

Now, before you throw eggs, or shout, "Well, duh!", give me a moment here.

Ever said these words ('cause I know I have): "I wish we wouldn't sing that song...it just doesn't do anything for me."

Or: "I'd come to Sunday school, but that's too early for my family, and besides, have you HEARD that teacher?"

Or: "I can't volunteer for nursery/children's church/yard duty/etc., because I don't want to miss anything."

In all of those statements, which at one time or another have fallen from my lips...the focus is on "I".

Yesterday, we sang a song during worship that just doesn't do it for me. But watching my sister-in-law, it did a LOT for her. And one of the songs that moved me, didn't much move so and so. And last week, a song that my husband didn't "feel" was moving another person--cause I watched her lose herself in worship.

And it struck me, "Hey, Deena! What does GOD get out of these songs? What does GOD get out of your service in the nursery? What does GOD get out of you coming to Sunday school to learn about HIM?"

It isn't about what makes me happy, makes me "feel His presence", makes me feel satisfied...it's about what makes Him honored, glorified, and worshipped.

Changed the way I do church, I'm telling you!

Oh, I'll still probably complain...'cause that's just what I do. But, now that God has got my attention...I may just have to find something else to be good at.

Like worshipping Him.

Be blessed and be a blessing!

Deena

2 comments:

Sharon Brumfield said...

Good thoughts.
I wonder if while I was waiting for Him to show up yesterday---maybe He was sitting beside me wondering what I was waiting for.

Denise said...

I have really missed reading your blog my friend, love you.