»

Saturday, October 06, 2007

Honey, They're Playing Our Verse!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


I had just started our car to make a trip into town when a CD in the player started playing a classic love song by one of my favorite bands. With a grin, I called my husband and asked him if he knew he'd left it in the car.

Turns out, he not only left it, he'd programmed it to come on at that track, and done it knowing I'd be driving that day. What a guy!

Since then, that CD hasn't left my player except to go to work with me. It's on my iPod, and I keep going back to certain songs that evoke the most powerful memories. Some good, some "eh" memories, and some that just make me sigh and smile softly.

That sparked a conversation with my husband about how hearing a certain song on the radio has the power to take me to BackWhenLand. In fact, there's one in particular...when it comes on the stereo, everything else in my world comes to a screeching halt, and I melt into a big puddle of mush.

Because it's "our song".

Some songs remind me of high school. Some remind of me certain friends, certain relationships. And then there are the songs my husband used to dedicate to me when we were dating. Or the song that came out the year my daughter was born. Or the one the kids used to sing in the backseat of the car, belting it out at the top of their lungs...

Which, as usually, triggered these thoughts:

On the way home from work I was listening to "the" CD...and it hit me...

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Scripture was like that in our lives?

What if we heard a verse on the radio or in a message or a teaching series, and we could say, "Oh, I remember when God gave me that verse! It was when my mom died...or when I just got that new job...or when I was so sick...or when I saw that double rainbow, remember that?"

Or what if certain passages caused us to say, "Oh, God, remember when we were talking about so and so, and right in the middle of my prayer You reminded me of that passage from Micah...those were some good times, huh, God? Let's have more of those, OK?"

Now, of course, Scripture is far more important than a song or an album of music...but what if Scripture was the soundtrack of a believer's life? What kind of difference would that make?

A lot, I suppose.

Now, I've got to go...because He's playing our song...I have loved you with an everlasting love...oh, yeah, God...I remember when I finally believed that one...and it was so way cool...

Be blessed, and be a blessing!

Deena

P.S. If you want to know 1) what the cd was that sparked all of this or 2) the song that turns me to mush...just email me:-) I'll tell you!

P.S.S. If you like to sing along to music then karaoke would be a blast for you. You can find karaoke information all over the web. From cute baby songs to your favorite party songs, find something you can sing along to!

2 comments:

Sharon Brumfield said...

Girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This was great!
What an amazing train of thought.
I have had a remember when on some verses. But I never thought about it the way you put here.
Goooooooooood post!

Nise' said...

I have been trying to find those cassette tapes my kids had of Scripture in song. I remember those Scriptures and when I hear them or go to quote them those songs pop in my head! I want to listen to them all - all over again!

PS Hope your back is easing up! I am one of those has and still refuses the surgery! I am feel your pain my friend!