»

Friday, October 12, 2007

Oh, Where Is My Hairbrush??

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Today, when I got my hair caught in my seatbelt again, I decided it is time to get it cut off. When, I don't know. I usually make up my mind, then change it again, and vice versa about a half dozen times before I finally get it cut.

Why, you may be asking (even if you're not, I'm telling you, so sit back and relax)??

Because I'm an idiot when it comes to hair. Inept. I should have either been born a boy or bald, because I. Cannot. Style. Hair.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Even my Barbie head looked freakish once I took her out her rollers and gave her a little tease. Poor thing had SO many bald spots before I was done with her.

So, I may succomb surrender give in get my hair cut soon.

Which brings me to my point. My sister-in-love can really do hair. I never know from one visit to the next what kind of "do" she'll be sportin', but it will look fresh from the salon good, if you know what I mean.

When she and my niece were here for Dave's 50th birthday weekend, she had this feisty short cut that was absolutely hot. And it had grown out a bit since she'd had it cut, so it was a little on the tamer side at this point.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


She had washed, dried and curled it til it looked amazing. But she had one thing left to do.

She had to see it from the back. And, while my sis is talented in the styling of hair, even SHE can't see the back of her head from the front!! So, with the help of a little hand held mirror, she checked for flat spots and "holes" in her do.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Still, she wasn't satisfied, so she asked my niece to take the hair pick and fluff any flat spots she had missed. There was only really one spot that needed a little fluffin', and then we were rarin' to go par-tay!

Isn't that like our spiritual lives? We can feel like we know what we're doing, and can be good at holding our stuff together pretty much, even discipling others along our way.

But we sense we have a "flat spot" in our lives...or that hole in our hearts starts to ache. We hold it up to the light of Scripture, and can see okay...just not always well enough to "get it" on our own.

And God takes a good look at us and shows us where the holes are that need repaired, or where the hard edges are that need softening up. He shows us the callouses that need smoothing and the tender spots that need healing.

And He shows us how filled our hearts need to be with His love and joy and mercy. Sometimes He does it through the word (the mirror), sometimes He uses brothers and sisters (the niece).

But I love it best when He, the Master Stylist, does it Himself. Because then I know it will be done right, and I'll be lookin' goo-ood!!

So, I'm still debating on whether or not to get my hair cut. Probably once Dave starts rolling over on it in the middle of the night, that's when I'll make up my mind. Til then, I'll be watching out for that hair-eating seatbelt!

Be blessed and be a blessing!

Deena

2 comments:

Sharon Brumfield said...

Hmmmmmm-not liking those flat spots.
As far as your hair--be brave, be bold--it will grow again. :)

Daisy said...

My daughter, Sunshine, and I just got our haircut. I look like a thistle, she looks like Moe from the 3 Stooges. LOL in spite of it.