»

Friday, April 27, 2007

Thank you...

Michael W. Smith wrote a song about them.

NBC produced a series about them.

Even Bette Midler insisted they were important.

What are they?

F-R-I-E-N-D-S.

As a little girl, I had trouble making friends. I grew up in an adult environment--my parents were 35 and 37 when I was born, and by the time I was 4, my siblings were gone. So I was a tad too serious and intense for kids my own age.

As a teen, I was so insecure, I could make friends, but had trouble keeping them, especially female friends. Most of my buddies were guys (not that that's a BAD thing:-). I had one really close friend all through high school, and I treasure those memories to this day.

As an adult, my insecurities grew to the point that if I had a friend, I only had one, and I even held her at arm's length. I'd been hurt so many times that I feared any kind of intimate relationships. Even my marriage to my best friend, my husband, suffered in the early years because of my insecurities.

But about 9 years ago God rocked my world, and my life became so very, very rich. He orchestrated circumstances so that I was hired at a local Christian bookstore as a parttime clerk. I spent 4 years working there, and those years changed my entire life.

I worked in a group of women who modeled Christ to me, who taught me to like myself and to appreciate my gifts and talents (I had many--who knew!!), and that I had great things to offer people in my life. Through their example and love and support, and quiet rebukes and exhortations, I was a hairy caterpillar that transformed into a slightly cock-eyed butterfly...and I like me that way!!

Now my life is filled with relationships of all kinds; some casual, some close, some intimate...and a few kindred spirits of the Anne of Green Gables kind (if you haven't read the book or watched the series, I highly encourage you to do so).

I'm still a scared little girl down deep inside. I still wonder "If they really get to know me, God, will they still play with me?" But I can usually calm the little girl down and whisper to her, "Yeah, they might think we're weird, but they actually LIKE that about us!"

So, do you wanna have friends? Scripture says we must first be friendly. Want some close friends? Tell God. He knows who it is who will "get you". He will guide your steps to the perfect person, or group of people. Trust Him. Come out of your shell and let Him fill your life with friends.

To all my internet blogging buddies...thank you. Your kind comments encourage my scared inner child and convince her to "come out and play in the sunshine of your love" more often...

Do me a favor today, would you? At the blogs where you often read, just say "Hi, I'm enjoying your blog" today. Don't just lurk and learn...pop out and encourage the person behind the blog. Your words mean more than you know.

Trust me.

Be blessed!

Deena

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deena,
You are such an encouragement in my life! Thanks for being my friend. Love you bunches, Bridget

NotJustLaura said...

Just wanted to thank you for writing this. My story's a little different but I really do relate to that scared little girl.

Sharon Brumfield said...

De-lurking.
Have a great weekend.