»

Monday, June 11, 2007

Because Inquiring Minds Want To Know, Part 1!

Chili is hosting a blogging party about how we all got our start in the bloggy world we now dwell in. We're all revealing our roots and linking together in a party of sorts (but there's no cake!), so enjoy! Mine is in three parts, mainly because I have three (yes, count'em, THREE!) blogs.

How did you start blogging?

Honestly, I have my hubby to thank. He was starting a blog for our church, and it seemed like a good idea at the time. Wholly Devoted was originally an extension of our women's Bible study fellowship, but now it has taken on a life of its own. And that's a good thing!

Did you intend to be a blog w/a following? If so, how did you go about it?

I have a following? What am I, Paris Hilton??!!

Seriously, I had hoped the women of our study would log on and read, but I'm finding out more people read this little blog than I even know in real life. How cool is that!

What do you hope to achieve or accomplish with your blog? Have you been successful?

I hope to encourage women to be real in their faith, to seek God with their whole hearts, and to just generally be encouraged. Have I been successful? That's hard to gauge, but from the comments I get...I think so. Only by His grace, though...
this transparency stuff is hard! I forget that people I go to church with read this stuff, and then someone will say something and I'll think "Yikes! I forgot I wrote that!!" LOL!!

If not, do you have a plan to achieve those goals?

My plan is as it has always been...writing what is on my heart, and seeing how God can use it.

Has the focus of your blog changed since you started blogging? How?

Well, as I said earlier, originally this was designed to be an extension of our monthly study. But more and more women were finding out about Wholly Devoted, and getting something from what they read...so it evolved into my on-line devotional journal. We still use it to connect in our study from time to time...much of what I blog about is triggered by something I've read in our book, "Having A Mary Spirit", but not all of it.

What do you know now that you wish you'd known when you started?

I've actually enjoyed learning from trial and error. I've found some great sites that help out with the little tricks, and I've invested in a book on blogging basics that I hope one day to actually read:-)

Do you make money with your blog?

No, but my kids would love for me to find a way to do that!!

Does your immediate or extended family know about your blog? If so, do they read it? If not, why?

My husband's sister, Brenda knows about it and is a frequent reader (I think she is anyway!). I've shared the link with my oldest sister, but none of my family is really into what I do. And I've shed many tears over wanting to share it with my mom...she would have been my biggest fan (or at least rivaled my hubby for the spot--he now holds the MBF title!).

What two pieces of advice would you give to a new blogger?

1. Decide what your purpose is, and then blog according to your purpose. Stay true to who you are, and you will grow as a person through your blogging. And always take time to read back through your blogs...you'll be amazed at your journey!

2. Use spellcheck. It's a blogger's best friend!

So there you have it...for part 2, click here. For Part 3, click here.

Be blessed...and consider joining us in the blogosphere!!

Deena

10 comments:

PEZmama said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and reading my story. I am excited to find so many people who are devoted to the Lord participating! I will be back so I can check out some of those devotional posts.

TaunaLen said...

I hope it's not confusing for me to comment on whichever of your three blogs I happen to end up. I loved your blog story trilogy! Thanks for coming by and commenting on mine, and I know how much a conversation like this with your mom would mean to you. I really wish Mimi could really hear this, as well. I miss talking with her, and hearing her voice. You should write some conversations with your mom, imagining what she would say to you in the process. If you never post them for everyone else to read, at least they might help you deal with the fact that you miss her so much and so often. I try to imagine what Mimi would say to me about what I write. It comforts me. Anyway, I hope you have a great day, my dear friend!

~TaunaLen

Musings of a Housewife said...

This is great! Isn't it strange when real-life friends are readers and you start to tell them something and they say, "Yeah, I know, I read your blog." Kind of a conversation-stopper, lol!!

Anonymous said...

My mom would have loved mine, too. I still so often wish I could share things with her.

I enjoyed reading this. I think I have come across this blog before, but didn't connect it with your book blog. Though you may have had it in the side bar and I just didn't see it. :)

Denise said...

Thanks for sharing this, I love all of your blogs.

Heaven said...

A beautiful blog with a great message. Thanks for stopping by.

Qtpies7 said...

I bet your mom would love your blog! My mom is my biggest fan, bigger than my dh, who only reads it when I nag him. yes, NAG.

Its nice to meet you on this bloggy carnival!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I enjoyed reading your story! :)

Corey~living and loving said...

I enjoyed visiting your blog. Good luck with everything you hope and dream!

Shauna said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog, and I'm happy to hear you're up for the reading challenge!