»

Monday, June 25, 2007

Wouldn't Take Nuthin' For My Journey Now!

For those who don't know, I live in Northern California, about 45 miles north of Sacramento (our state capital).

On our anniversary trip we travelled 125 miles north and 35 miles west to Fort Bragg, California (on the coast).

The highway is mountain highway--through steep grades and high mountain passes and twisty curves...and through rock/mud slide country. My dad did a lot of work in that area on winter mud slides and on summer rock slides.

We passed through several tiny towns and drove along the outer rim of Clear Lake, and it was gorgeous. The wind kicked up tiny whitecaps and you could hear the water when the windows were rolled down. The air was so much clearer, and the smell---oh, the smell of the water!

I thought to myself "I could just enjoy this. We don't need to go all the way to Fort Bragg." I was tired, I didn't like the road we traveled. And I just wanted to be by the water. The water brings such peace to my soul--I just cannot begin to describe it.

But I kept my thoughts to myself, and we continued on. Finally we came to Willits, which was our turnoff for Fort Bragg. Now, I'd heard how perilous and windy this highway stretch was...but I could not have prepared myself for it.

Blind, hairpin turns, narrow road, and stupid drivers all piled up on my last nerve until I became a basket case. But my husband drove so carefully, and he took his time and got us there safely--although it took over an hour to drive 30 miles!!

We saw the sign. We had reached our destination. And Dave announced, "Look, Deena! The ocean, just for you!" And it was breathtaking. After so much to get there (I couldn't even begin to read on this trip for fear of carsickness--and I don't get carsick!).

What joy! What fun! What peace awaited me there. We explored beach after beach, walking along the ocean's edge, watching the sun set and the waves crash on the rocks. We spent hours on the water's edge, and I drank it all in and basked in God's presence right there on the coast.

When time came to return home, the road didn't bother me as much. I enjoyed the scenery of the tall redwood canopy that sheltered us, and admired the strength in my husband's hands as he controlled our car around the dangerous curves. When I did have a moment of panic, he told me, "I will not put your life at risk. God has entrusted you to me, and I will take care of you."

I cried when he said that. I knew it, but to hear him say it was infinitely precious.

Again, on our way home, we passed by Clear Lake. This time, as I gazed out on it's clear blue surface, I said out loud, "I could never settle for this when I know now what lies ahead."

And that is now how I feel about my life. I won't settle for this mediocrity, this empty existence, and sell out on what I know awaits me. If you don't really understand Heaven, I encourage you to read Randy Alcorn's writings along with Revelation in the Bible.

Such great things await us that we cannot afford to get attached to what we have down here. And the troubles that we must go through--don't even compare to what we have waiting up ahead in Heaven.

Rest assured--God has entrusted our lives to Jesus, and He is able to keep that which we have committed to Him until that day arrives. Trust me--His Word says it and I have to believe it, after all I've experienced this weekend.

So, that's my first life lesson from this trip. There's more to come, so stay tuned.

Be blessed, and never settle for anything less than God's best for YOU!

Deena

3 comments:

Denise said...

Wow, what a blessed trip my friend.

Sharon Brumfield said...

YES!
That was a good post--that is the Deena that I enjoy hearing.
Love the comparison between you hubby driving and Jesus. Good thoughts. Great teaching from God.
You kept me reading and the flow was great.

TaunaLen said...

Oh how precious your husbands words were. Glad you're back, and thanks for the lovely post.

~TaunaLen