»

Monday, June 18, 2007

Does It Really Matter??

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


I read a novel earlier this year by author Lisa Samson. It's called "Quaker Summer", and it's about Heather Curridge and her journey to self discovery.

Heather has it all, and she is b-o-r-e-d. Wanting to find meaning in her life, she embarks on helping the homeless. But what she ultimately discovers is that, even in helping, it's still all about her.

Today, outside McDonald's, a homeless man asked me for a burger. Just a burger; nothing else.

Normally, that would have thrilled me to bits. I love feeding people who are in need, and do it as often as I can.

In fact, when my mom passed away, I inherited a small amount of money. I wanted to set some aside for just this purpose: helping those in need. It made me feel good...

about me.

So, when this man asked me for a burger, I decided to stretch a little. I talked to him. I asked him exactly what he'd like. I didn't just dive in and purchase the easiest and cheapest.

He appreciated it. And this time, it felt deeper. Not quite deep enough, but more than just a token burger for a brownie point.

One day, I hope to have what it takes to invite the person to eat with me. To talk with him or her and to get to know exactly where they are coming from, what their real needs are, and how to pray for them...by name.

Of course, in today's age, I must exercise wisdom. I mean, what would it mean if the person gained a meal and my kids lost a mom? Odds are, that wouldn't happen, but I do have to be wise.

So, I will be searching my soul more these days...why do I do the things I do? To make myself feel better--feel good--feel accomplished?? And how can I get to the pure motive of honoring God with what He has given me?

Making the journey, one step at a time.

Be blessed,

Deena

1 comments:

Denise said...

Bless you dear one, God and I love you.