»

Monday, July 30, 2007

Can't We All Just Get Along??

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


We had a rather interesting lesson yesterday at church during our Bible study hour, concerning dealing with conflict in church. Richard did a wonderful joy with the lesson, but I remained silent.

I am silent no more!!

Which brings me to my headline...and the answer is yes...and no.

There will always be differences of opinion in groups of two or more. I mean, I can disagree when it's just me, myself and I! But we are not our opinions, and therefore we should be able to agree to disagree on the non-essentials.

And that is where my problem lies.

I have this annoying tendency to become my opinion. To make what I think who I am, and therefore if you reject what I think, you end up rejecting me.

Which, of course, is totally false. But because of my insecurity, I've somehow bought into the lie that you must agree with me in order for me to be validated.

Joyce Meyer calls it "The Root Of Rejection". At the root of my arguments and squabbles is a need to feel like I matter, I make a difference...I call it the George Bailey syndrome.

So, while we may not always agree, as believers we can still be two peas in the same pod. Except for the essentials, there's plenty of room in the Father's fields of grace to discuss, debate, and disagree...as long as it's done in love.

We must become people of the Book again, in order to know what is pivotal to our faith in Christ, and what has room for discension. Salvation by grace, Divine inspiration of Scripture and other tenets of Christianity are not up for grabs. But many are.

God has given us the gift of His Word, a mind that works in wonderous ways, and the leadership of the Holy Spirit for a reason. I'm one of those nutjobs who believes that our abundant life comes through the exploration of the things of God, not in how much money I have or how many cars I own.

Everything we believe must fit what Scripture teaches, and even then, we have room to disagree with one another. For instance, I know Jesus is returning...but I don't know when. So I won't ever agree with you if you say He isn't coming...but we can have fun with when it might happen!

So, while we won't always agree, we can always be in agreement. And discussion or debate can be fun and challenging, as long as it is done in love. Everything we do must be done in love, or it isn't being done in Christ.

Now, repeat after me, "I am NOT my opinions, I am NOT my opinions, I am NOT my opinions..."

Be blessed and be a blessing!

Deena

**Edited for clarification...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm.....
Perhaps it would be wise to wait 30 days before we voice our opinion. 1) It will probably change! 2) It won't be nearly as important anymore 3) A new opinion altogether will be pending!
tee hee
I can relate to the "rejection" thing, but JOYCE MEYER? Are you sure you should mention her on your site? She has caused much nuisance and OPINION between friends! LOL again

Aren't I just JOVIAL this AM?
Have a wonderful day in the LORD!

~KJ Star Trekkie, mother of many,
and a church attendee who avoided the entire meeting! OH NO!

Denise said...

Thanks for sharing this, but keep your opinions to yourself, lol now, in my opinion, which is the only opinion that matters, lol you are wonderful my friend. I love you.

veronica said...

Gee.........I have no idea what you mean. Now, if you want to know what I think.........LOL Actually, Im one of those who is married to my opinions and therefore I am constantly getting into trouble. Thanks for sharing Deena- you are such a wonderful blessing!

Sharon Brumfield said...

Wow--I just got hit with this one a few days ago.
No we don't have to agree--Matter of fact how boring would that be.
I love a good discussion. I love chewing some meat together. But, I do realize that not everyone can handle me speaking my mind. I think it is sad--but I am trying to learn to deal with people in a humble way. It is what Jesus did I think even in His anger. Needless to say--I have a long way to go. :)
I do love a good discussion--especially when I am right. ;)