»

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Hush Yo Mouth!!






Since I opened up a can of worms yesterday about lessons learned at church on Sunday, I figured I'd go ahead and poke a stick in it to see what stirs up! Not only did we have an intriguing lesson in Bible study hour, but the message was thought-provoking as well.

Pastor Dave spoke about Ephesians 5:3-7, and included in the Scripture was an admonishment to refrain from obscene, foolish and idle talk. While the obscene is not a problem for me...the foolish and idle can be a thorn in my side.

Normally, I try to remember that the person listening to my conversation could one day visit my church or find out that I'm a Christian. I learned that lesson early on in the fifth grade...but that's for another post...

However, I'm not perfect, and my mouth does tend to run off without my brain. For instance...

Last Friday, I was taking my daughter to the movies, but we found out it had sold out. Frustrated, I decided to go on home and try again on Saturday. I drove the stoplight at the corner, and traffic was backed up into the cross walk.

While waiting to turn right, I phoned Dave to let him know I was on my way home. A car behind me honked, obviously wanting me to move. But there was no place to move to. And had I poked my nose out into the intersection, the cars making u-turns would have hit me, or gotten very irate at me.

Finally, he decided to go around me. I rolled down my window to let him know I was sorry, but he proceded to call me names and tell me how stupid I was. Well........

...let's just say I didn't use colorful language, but I did argue and shriek at him a bit....a lot....I lost it. After he was done calling me a variety of names and such, he sped off.

I told my daughter that I realized he might one day come to the church, and I was ready to let him have it then as well. My daughter told me to calm down, and said, "You're going to regret that, Mom."

I retorted, "I didn't do anything wrong." She agreed, but she knew me, and she again said I would regret it later on.

She was right. I did. I should have held my tongue. I should have turned the other cheek. I should have kept my window up! But I wanted to have my say, and I did...but it wasn't very satisfying.

So, while I may still mouth off now and then, I will watch my words more closely. If not for the example I set for others, at least for my kids. Because they are watching even when no one else is.

Be blessed, and be a blessing!

Deena

P.S. If you want to know the lesson I learned in 5th grade, email me.

5 comments:

Denise said...

I love you my friend for being so real.

Nise' said...

I need to heed this advice as well! It is ALWAYS my mouth that gets me in trouble. A few years ago I was at my son's middle school basketball game and his friends parents were there, but sitting apart from each other. Never one to keep quiet, I said, "what's the matter, did you two have a fight?" No one said a thing, later on, one of the other moms pulled me aside and said that the couple was in the process of a divorce. Open mouth and insert both feet!!!

Sharon Brumfield said...

I have a tendency to put what I think out there. God is reminding me lately that my words should be tinged with humility.It is not that I am speaking from a prideful stand point but rather I am not speaking the truth in love.
I guess I could use a little more of the oey gooey in my spiritual make up.

kittyhox said...

Gosh, I can relate. It's so hard not to want to be right and be heard when we ARE right!

It's very hard for me to hold my tongue, keep my temper, etc. The only time I have any success at all is when I'm really spending a lot of daily time in the word and the Spirit does all the hard work for me.

Without that daily immersion, I often get myself in trouble. Like the time someone at work sent me an e-mail that really irked me and so I decided to forward it to my co-worker/friend WITH A COMMENT about the sender, which I promptly, accidently sent back to the sender. Have you ever just wanted the floor to open up and swallow you? Sigh...

Anonymous said...

James, James, James,
You know, I actually started memorized the first bit of James. My problem lately has been being pulled over for speeding. I mean, wouldn't it be a moot point if I wasn't speeding in the first place? But I get mad that he pulled ME over instead of the guy in front or behind me. Once, I actually put my car in gear with the cop leaning over my window. To top that off, I slammed my fist into the roof of the car as he walked off. GROW UP ALREADY! It's all about my heart attitude. And being filled with the spirit. I love that verse in Ephesians. Do I want to be controlled by the Spirit or by alcohol, or anger, or stress? That's a no brainer, but my brain talks me into commenting or flying off the cuff. I am so quick to criticize the "movie dad" who is mean to his kids, and the next instant, I put my hand over my mouth as the Holy Spirit shows me that I am that same wo"man"! Grrrr
Well, at least we serve a HOLY GOD who wants to forgive and give a new start. HE has made incredible changes in my tongue. For the times I still screw up, HE brings me to my knees in confession and repentance and HE continues on in HIS unfailing love. OH! Let us all praise HIS holy name! For it is only because of HIM that I live and that my tongue has not yet been cut OFF!