»

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Music That Reaches Deep Inside...

Most of today's Christian artists just don't do it for me, you know?? I mean, they sound great, and are most definitely talented. But it just entertains, and when I listen to Christian music, I don't want to be entertained...

I want to be moved, changed, provoked, convicted, and blessed.

Maybe that's just too tall an order. I don't really know.

But I've found an artist for today who is capable of doing all of that and more, and his name is Todd Agnew. He is this generation's Rich Mullins.

Both men write for an audience of One, and are deeply personal and honest in their craft. Both men have taken great amounts of criticism for writing the kind of music that I need to hear.

Did you catch that? I NEED to hear it. Otherwise, I just remain complacent and content...a fat and happy Christian that never peels back the layers to get to the truth of the matter. The heart and soul of what I believe, Who I believe in, and who I really am.

So, I introduce Todd Agnew to you through his newest and most criticized release...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


The basic premise of the album is our questions for God, hence the title, "Better Questions". God is able to handle our questions...the issue for us is are we able to handle His answers.

The song that pierced my heart and made me cry this morning on the way to work is the track, "If You Wanted Me". A piercing ballad that echoes my heart's questions to God, and makes so much sense to this struggling believer.

I respect Todd and don't want to violate his copyright, but here's one line from this powerful song: "If you wanted me to surrender, why'd you make these hands able to hold on so tight?"

Give his CD a listen. I think you'll like it.

Be blessed, and be a blessing!

Deena

3 comments:

Sharon Brumfield said...

HA!
I bought this two days ago!
How funny. I love his voice and the truthfulness of his music.
This C.D did make me squirm a little.
I think it is the second or third song that I love a lot. Something about holding God's hand and a mountain?
His voice is great.
I bought a C.D the first time because he did an interview barefoot--I thought that is my type of person. He is barefoot on the album(oops!) C.D cover.
Going out of town for our next summer conference. I'll be checking in while I am gone--behave yourself. ;)
In other words--don't ruffle too many feather while I am gone.
Love ya girl

Denise said...

I will give this cd a listen.

Steven Simpson said...

Your right much of the Christian music has lost its way and has become way too commercialized. Much of it has become just ‘plain vanilla’….Don’t get me wrong I like vanilla…but when it’s the only thing you get to eat…it becomes ‘plain’ real fast. Much of the music today lacks originality and creativity. So it’s refreshing to hear your words…and barefoot is cool…although painful depending on terrain. I’ll have to give this a listen…

Steve