»

Friday, July 27, 2007

A Poor Imitation...

"No eye has seen,
no ear has heard,
no mind has conceived
what God has prepared for those who love Him,"
I Corinthians 2:9

Let that soak into your heart for a moment.

Nothing down here can begin to compare with what awaits us over there. Just think...

...the most gorgeous sunset? Mere fingerpainting in comparison.

...the deepest love? Mere attraction, if that, in comparison.

...the richest flavors? So bland as if to be non-existent in comparison.

...the sweetest fragrances and tastiest aromas? Like air compared to what awaits.

My greatest imaginings are but pale shadows when compared to the reality that waits for me on the other side of this life. C.S. Lewis put it best when he said we are living in the shadowlands.

So then, why in the world do I cling to this pale imitation?? Why do I get so enamored of the things of this life to the neglect of the things in the next? Why do so many attractions ensnare me and so many distractions entangle me?

This life is all I've ever known. And because I can't begin to imagine anything more, I settle for what I can imagine.

This.

And yet, how faulty is my imagination even when it comes to what is known!! Think about it...

...I imagined what it would be like to be an adult one day...doesn't begin to compare to the reality!

...I imagined what it would be like to be married one day...doesn't begin to compare to the reality!

...I imagined what it would be like to be a mom one day...doesn't begin to compare to the reality!

...I imagine what it will be like to be retired one day...I know, I know...the reality will be so different!

Fixing my eyes on heaven is so incredibly hard these days, and yet it is what my heart so desperately longs for.

Perfect love, perfect worship, perfect faith.

Complete devotion, complete attention, complete service.

No more sin, no more pain, no more struggle.

And yet, as wonderful as all of that sounds...

"No eye has seen,
no ear has heard,
no mind has conceived
what God has prepared for those who love Him,"
I Corinthians 2:9

I can hardly wait...

Be blessed, and be a blessing.

Deena

2 comments:

Denise said...

Beautifully said my friend.

TaunaLen said...

Amen, my friend. Amen.

~TaunaLen