»

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Book Review: The Cubicle Next Door

This is again off topic and unusual, but I feel so passionate about this, I have to share:

Usually, once I've tried an author and not been pleased, I give up. But this book kept catching my eye, so finally I gave into the appeal of the cover and indulged.
I'm SO glad I did!
"I wasn't crazy about sharing my office space with anyone...and then I met Joe." That's how "The Cubicle Next Door" by Siri Mitchell begins. And the journey is an exhausting one, but so worthwhile.
Jackie Harrison is a civilian who works as a computer analyst. She ends up having to share her cubicle with Lt. Col. Joseph Gallagher. And her life turns upside down.
It is not only the sweetest courtship I've ever read, but I felt a kinship with Jackie that just pierced my heart. She is so real, it's almost as if I could talk with her myself.
The feature of the story is Jackie's secret internet blog (what? how unique!!:-). She posts her feelings about Joe, but does so anonymously, as "The Cubicle Next Door."
What follows her postings is hilarious, endearing and heartwrenching. This was one of those novels that I could not wait to finish, and yet was so sad when it ended. Jackie's journey is one I myself have taken in a way.
You'll have to read the novel to understand. To share more ruins the mystery of Jackie's journey. Believe me, it's a beautiful one. You'll long for a Joe in your own life...me? I already have one...and THAT is a beautiful thing indeed.
Get this book. Read it. Share it with a girlfriend, sister, mom, any woman you know who longs to be loved but something holds her back.
I have to go and email Siri Mitchell and let her know I want more from Jackie and Joe!!
Thanks, Siri, for sharing with all of us!
Deena

0 comments: