»

Saturday, January 27, 2007

The Novelist

I closed the cover of the book with a sigh. So much of the storyline just didn't make sense to me.
So, I did what I usually did--I went to the author.

"Hi," I said. "Do you mind if I chat with you for a bit?"

"No, not at all," he said, gesturing for me to pull out a chair. "What's on your mind?"

"I finished the book," I announced.

"And did you enjoy it?" he asked.
"I think so, but I'm not sure. I have a few questions. Do you mind?"

"Not at all," he assured me. "Ask away."

"Why did you give the girl in the story such a flawed personality?" I asked hesitantly--I mean, after all, I was taking to task an established author here. "I mean, couldn't you have at least made her brilliant, beautiful, or highly skilled?"

"But didn't you find her easy to relate to? To identify with?" he countered thoughtfully.

"Hmm, now that you mention it, she did seem very approachable. She was so ordinary, I felt comfortable with her, like I knew her from somewhere." I nodded my understanding. However, killing off her main character..."

"You didn't like that, huh?" he asked with a slight smile.

"No, I didn't. It came from out of no where, and it left her hanging...and, come on, you control what goes on. Couldn't you have re-written that?"

"I suppose I could have. Did I mention that I have a sequel planned for our young heroine, in which she herself is the main character?"

"Really?"

"Yes, although only you and I know that. If you thinkg about it, she wouldn't have had the development needed to support her own storyline, had she not endured that loss."

I nodded again. "Yes, I can see that. It's just...well, I just don't understand...YOU control the pen. Why let all of these things happen?"

"It's true," he agreed, "I do control the pen. But I have a storyline mapped out for each of my characters, long before I create them. Sometimes, in the course of the novel, certain events must take place in order for them to develop the character qualities the storyline requires."

"Ok, I'll grant you that, but can't you change the storyline?"

"I do at times, when I see that the character is choosing a slightly different path. You see, my dear, at times these characters choose to write themselves. With my guidance still there, of course," he chuckled.

"Does any of it catch you by surprise?" I asked, considering his wise words.

"Oh, no. Even when they choose to stray from my preferred storyline, I can still see where it is going and I anticipate each change, because ultimately, it is all incorporated into the master story."

"So, she's getting a novel of her own, huh?" I reflected, with a smile.

He nodded, and I thanked him for his time.

I still wasn't happy about the events that took place in the story, but I could see them all in the bigger scheme of things, and was assured that the Author was still in control, seeing events that I could not foresee.

"Looking unto Jesus, the AUTHOR and FINISHER of our faith: who, for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God," Hebrews 12:2.

Any events in your life puzzling? Disturbing? Your story's not done yet...consult the Master Storyteller. Trust Him to finish out the story of your life...

Be blessed, and be a blessing in the story of someone else's life,

Deena

1 comments:

Pastor Dave said...

Wow! That's about all I can say. Wow!

Dave