»

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Question #2 for Week #2--January 14-20, 2007

5. What does James 2:10 say about our inability to achieve self-induced holiness?


For me, this tells me that no matter how hard I try to "get it all together", even one crooked hem-line, one sagging pantyhose knee, or one broken promise unravels it again. It is impossible to keep all of God's law--which is way more than just the 10 commandments. Each and every day I either disappoint someone, break my word, lack follow-thru on a goal or task, get upset unjustly...the list is endless.
Thank God it isn't up to me; it's all up to Him.

So, having said that, the follow-up question is "Then why in the world do we act like we have to have it all together all the time?

1 comments:

veronica said...

So why in the world do I think I need to have it all together-good question. Maybe because I tend to evaluate myself by what others think. Many times my self esteem has been grounded in my achievements and what things look like on the outside. What I have found is that performance can be very tiring, sooner or later it always catches up with me. Slowly but surely God is bringing me to that sweet humbleness which allows me to see that no matter how hard I try I will never have it all together-what a relief! My righteousness comes only from what God does in me-not what I can do based on my own abilities. Thanks for sharing Deena.