»

Monday, January 29, 2007

The Emperor Has No Clothes............

Many years ago there lived an emperor who was quite an average fairy tale ruler, with one exception: he cared much about his clothes. One day he heard from two swindlers named Guido and Luigi Farabutto that they could make the finest suit of clothes from the most beautiful cloth. This cloth, they said, also had the special capability that it was invisible to anyone who was either stupid or not fit for his position.

Being a bit nervous about whether he himself would be able to see the cloth, the emperor first sent two of his trusted men to see it. Of course, neither would admit that they could not see the cloth and so praised it. All the townspeople had also heard of the cloth and were interested to learn how stupid their neighbors were.

The emperor then allowed himself to be dressed in the clothes for a procession through town, never admitting that he was too unfit and stupid to see what he was wearing. For he was afraid that the other people would think that he was stupid.

Of course, all the townspeople wildly praised the magnificent clothes of the emperor, afraid to admit that they could not see them, until a small child said:

"But he has nothing on!"

This was whispered from person to person until everyone in the crowd was shouting that the emperor had nothing on. The emperor heard it and felt that they were correct, but held his head high and finished the procession.

Why did I post this, you may be asking?

The answer is simple...

When it comes to the church, it's time to admit, "The emperor has no clothes." And for some reason, I'm the one to admit it.

We sing songs at church like "It Is Well With My Soul", when, quite frankly, sometimes it's not. Or "I Surrender All", when we know we are struggling in a secret area. How about "What A Friend We Have In Jesus," when right now we feel like He is a distant cousin?

What in the world makes us think we can get into these positions and get ourselves out on our own. "Oh, I'm not on my own...God is with me!" And He might just want to use the church family to help get us out.

So, try this on for size...we, the church, are the emperor. Satan has convinced us we are "dressed for success", but the world has declared, "Hey, you aren't wearing any clothes!" It's time to take off our own righteousness of the perfect family, the perfect faith, the perfect worship experience, the perfect response to trials and tribulations...and admit, we don't have it all together. Don't expect me to. This life is messy, and I'm a saved sinner on my road to maturity. I may fall in a mud puddle from time to time, trip and skin myself on the rocks of life's path, and even tumble into a ditch.

I need to be clothed in Jesus' righteousness. I need to allow Him to put on me the garment of praise...and He may need to pry me out of my oh so comfortable jeans of self-pity, 'cause they fit like a second skin and are mine, oh mine...but when He dresses you, you feel like a princess (or prince).

I'm crying out, "The emperor has no clothes!" and waiting for my Heavenly Tailor to come and take care of the situation...I'm a mess, but I'm His........

Hoping not to offend,
Deena

1 comments:

Pastor Dave said...

This is a message that needs to be shouted from the rooftops. We really need to come to the understanding that the church is not for perfect people, never was, never will be. The world is looking for authenticity....and too often we are playing a plastic Jesus game where everything is pristine and perfect. My prayer is that we can have the freedom to be honest...warts and all, and also have the grace and love to receive it when people are honest, and the thick skin we will also need from time to time. Transparency in the church is needed, and it needs to start with me.

Pastor Dave