»

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Why Do We Do The Things We Do???

This oughta generate some heat!

Why do we, especially women, feel the need to be more? What is it that we do to one another that feeds that need? There has to be something driving us...I mean besides the internal. What is that external force we cannot seem to shut off in order to just be what God wants us to be?

For me, it's the continuous feeling of being left out. I was a pudgy, awkward child. I never got picked to be on teams, to play pretend...I like to quote one of my favorite comedians: "I had an imaginary friend, and even SHE wouldn't play with me!"

Nothing intimidates me more than to be involved in a project or a ministry, and to hear a conversation about it that doesn't include me. Or to feel like everyone knows but me. So, I strive to be more informed, more involved, more active, more visible...and wear myself out. And I still walk away, head down, feeling left out.

Maybe that is why I work so hard at making sure people feel included. I'm not perfect at it, but it pierces me when I hear a woman say, "I just don't feel like I belong." I know that feeling. That feeling and I are good buddies. I have it on speed dial.

So, what can we do differently as sisters in Christ? Any thoughts??

1 comments:

veronica said...

I feel the need to be more because Im a people pleaser. I think I need to have my hands in everything, and as a result I end up unhappy, resentful, and sometimes totally discouraged. Many times I end up getting involved in areas God has not called me to. Sometimes I go places and actually tell someone how much I am enjoying myself when in truth I would rather be any where else. Other times I go along with what someone is saying when I know its not right in my heart but instead I agree or tell them what they want to hear. No matter how much I try and do it is never quite enough and I end up pushing myself beyond my limits. I try to justify it by telling myself that the Bible does teaches us to put the needs of others before our own but there is a balance. God in His love nd mercy is showing me to follow the leading of the Holy Spirit in EVERYTHING I do. God is also showing me that I need to lighten up on the expectations I place on others.