»

Monday, January 22, 2007

Tell Me The Truth

"Sometimes, when I say "I'm fine", I want someone to look me in the eye and say, "Tell me the truth."

I read that quote on someone else's blog (thanks sweetie!)

Here's my question: do we, as believers, ask people how they are and then move on so quickly we never really know? Do we look them in the eye to see through to their souls?

And before you say, "Oh, that's impossible!", let me tell you about this sweet lady in our church. Every week, she hugs me tightly, asks me how my week went, and then pulls back a little, looks me in the eye, and then tells me what I was reluctant to share out loud.

She pretty much nails me every time. And you know what? I love her for it! She gives me the freedom to be me, and that is a rare, rare gift, my friends, especially for someone in ministry. Too often we are tempted, sometimes forced, to hide our hurting, bruised or bleedings selves for the sake of "the church" or "the ministry", or so we won't cause someone to stumble.

In the meantime, we suffer alone in silence, and we become weak and unable to defend ourselves against attacks from the enemy. Praise God for those people in the body of Christ who look us in the eye and say, "Tell me the truth" in love and compassion. That takes guts. It's taking a risk. It's sticking your neck out and taking a chance on getting it chopped off. And sometimes, honestly, you get more than you bargain for with some people:-)

But, to someone like me who has a difficult time sharing, it's a lifeline. And as believers, we of all people should be the ones looking people in the eye and finding out how they "really" are. This life is short. Eternity is coming for everyone. The world needs to know we genuinely care...they are looking for someone to really, really care.

And the church is hurting. We've played pretend for so long, some of us don't know what it means to share our burdens. People ask us and we automatically do our best Jack Nicholson impression : "You can't HANDLE the truth!" A good long look in the eye would probably help out a lot! So....

What do you say on this topic? Come on, share....

Be blessed, and be a blessing!
Deena

P.S. If you like what you read here, check out my personal blog at
http://blog.myspace.com/in_a_daze_today
Come on...you know you wanna!!!

1 comments:

veronica said...

Im with you Deena, I love those people who are willing to challenge us to be real.It also convicts me to take the time to really care about what is going on in someone elses life. It's hard to be real (reminds me of the story of the Velveteen Rabbit). Becoming real sometimes hurts and many times it will cost you something but when people who love you and show you compassion the walls come down and the realness just flows through. "Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become real."
"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit. "Sometimes," said the Skin horse for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt." The story goes on "but once you are Real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always".
For so many years I played the game, I wanted people to think all was ok and that I was being real. The problem is there is always someone who comes along (like your dear little friend Deena) that challenges us to be transparent and honest and for that I am forever grateful.