»

Monday, March 19, 2007

Breaker, Breaker...

I had just washed my hair, and was getting ready to blow it dry. I plugged in my hair dryer and hit the switch.

Nothing.

Being highly intelligent, I clicked it back and forth a few more times, then gave it a good shake.

Still nothing.

Then my eye caught the oversized plug at the end of the cord. Oh, yeah! It has a breaker switch built into it. A safety feature. Just in case I decide to dry my hair while showering:-) to save time, or in case the circuit overloads. Somehow, the switch was tripped.

I simply pushed in the red button, heard a "click", and voila! Hot air!

Wouldn't it be nice if life had a built in circuit breaker?

Oh, wait....it does...

The Holy Spirit will give off a warning; we just have to learn to pay attention to Him. "Slow down, you're gonna burn out!" He'll tell us as we load our daily plate too full of things to do. "Watch out, you're getting awfully close to temptation!" He'll announce, telling us to back away from the thing that so easily lures us.

All too often I override His caution, pushing the release button and plowing forward. I can't claim ignorance...I saw the signs and chose to ignore His warnings. But when He gives me that Holy "Uh-oh"...well, it's time I learned to obey.

Circuit breakers are there for our protection...overriding them is foolishness. The Holy Spirit is there for our protection...overriding His is foolishness. Something to think about...

Be blessed, and ask God for an extra measure of "circuit breaker" in your life today...then listen and obey...

Deena

2 comments:

TaunaLen said...

Wow, I really needed this, today. I am unplugging right now, and going to take a break. I've been pushing to grade one more paper, read one more email, do one more thing before I quit for the night, and I am overextending myself. I read your comment on my "Where I'm From" post and wanted to come say thank you. Now I have two reasons to say thanks! I will be back to visit again soon.

TaunaLen

Susanne said...

Wow what a great lesson!