»

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

That Evil Flesh Woman, Gertrude...Sheee's Baa-aack!!

This chapter study has revealed WAAAYY more about me than I wanted to know. I'm finding out I give into Evil Gertrude more than I thought I did.

Take this morning, for instance. I have a bad habit of not getting enough quality sleep. So I look forward to days when I can sleep in just a tad more than usual. No problem there, right?

Except sleeping in tends to make me feel lazy, groggy, and generally uncooperative. So, when my dear husband calls and tells me for the fifth time in 3 months he has to go in on a Saturday to work, well, I just am not a happy camper!

"That's just not fair!" I yelled at him over the phone. "Doesn't anybody see what's going on over there?!"

"I know, and I'm sorry," he apologizes.

Ok, why did HE apologize? I'm mad at them, not him. The unfairness of it, the stupidity of it all drives me nuts. Problem is, I take it out on the one who has no say in any of it.

I know life isn't fair...I've even used that line on my kids when they whine about fairness to me. But it should be fair. It was fair, before Eve ate that stupid piece of fruit, which wasn't EVEN coated in chocolate, and it was before PMS was around, so what stinkin' excuse did SHE have...

Oh, excuse me...I digress...

My point is this. Life ISN'T fair. I know that. But when something unfair occurs, especially if it directly affects me or those I love, the claws come out and the whining begins. Only problem is, the claws and the whine rarely affect those creating the unfairness...usually my targets are those who are victims of the unfairness...which really isn't fair...and so the story goes.

We were created for so much more than this life. I think instinctively we all know this, believer or unbeliever. The difference is in how we gain more than this life has to offer us. As believers, we look to the Source of Life for our meaning and our purpose.

Non-believers will claw and scratch, rant and rave, and do whatever it takes to get the most for them...the flesh warring against the world.

So, when I claw, scratch and whine about how life isn't fair, how no one cares, how this isn't the way it is supposed to be...I'm letting Evil Gertrude have her head. I need to be willing to bend my knee, bow my head, and cry out, "Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven..." and allow God to decide what's fair for my life, for my circumstances, for my family...and just do what I'm supposed to do.

Because, in the end, when all is said and done...life will be fair. God will make all things right, just as they were meant to be...and isn't that what I'm supposed to be living for anyway??

I've gotta go. I've gotta call my husband, and let him know that, no, it's not fair...but God will be with him through this, and to apologize for making him feel so badly...

What about you??

Be blessed, and bless someone who doesn't deserve blessing...because life is not fair, and they probably know that...give them a glimpse of God today....

Deena

P.S. I apologize if this doesn't make much sense...lack of sleep and all that...

3 comments:

Sharon Brumfield said...

I have a moment of that is not fair alto here lately. 1. a well that seems to have a life of it's own 2. people who want me to prove that i really love them 3.I am sure I could list more than any of us want to hear

But what I am learning is that He is proving to me each day, His faithfulness. When number 2. is about more than i can handle--He says draw from my well. Well, I seem to have an abundance of wells lately! God is good and when He finally finishes perfecting me------ I'll be in heaven! So until then, one day at a time.

Susanne said...

You made perfect sense from one sleep deprived wife to another!

Nise' said...

Oh, sista! This is fabulous! I was laughing through the tears! It is so easy to tell/encourage others with, Life. Is. Not. Fair. But when it is turned on us..watch out. My morning devotion read "God's glory far exceeds anything we can comprehend. His glory is everything we know about Him and infintely more".