»

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Oops, I Did It Again!

For those who've been reading my blog lately, you all know I had a meltdown this weekend. Too much to do, too many memories, and too many tears. So, Monday morning came, nothing had improved, and I didn't want to stay that way. God and I had a chat that went something like this:

"What happened, God? We were doing so well!"

"Well, Deena, when's the last time you opened My Book?"

"What? Oh, just yesterday, God. Don't you remember...oh, of course you do...my bad, Lord. But it was just yesterday..."

"But that was at MY house...when's the last time you had Me over to Your house?"

And it hit me. I'd been reading God's Word alright...for Bible study, for lessons, in devotionals, and in preparation for teaching...but I haven't been reading it JUST FOR ME...

I don't know if you're this way, but this is how I am...My husband and I talk together. A lot. About kids, school, work, church, home...but even if we talk every day, for two hours, about all of those things...if we never talk about US, if we never just spend time being Dave and Deena...I feel a distance begin to grow.

It isn't the conversation that intertwines my heart to his...it's the kind of conversation...so we make time to just be US at least once a week now. To find ourselves amidst the business of the days and weeks.

I find I'm the same with God. I can read His Word for a multitude of reasons, but if I don't read it just for me, just to be Deena, sitting at His feet...I feel a distance growing between us. I need to be still, hear from His Word, and let it soak into my bones, just like I need to feel the sun on my face after a dark and stormy day.

So, yes, I did it again. I fooled myself into thinking I was doing ok...till I crashed and burned. But I'm praising God that it only took a mere 24 hours before the two of us got to the heart of the matter. And it was good to grieve...I don't let myself do that very often.

In fact, it was Boomama's wonderful post of Psalm 103 that helped open the dialogue for me. So, in honor of that post, Wednesdays are going to be a little different around here.

Instead of my wonderful, warm wit...**grin**...I'm going to post a passage of Scripture for you to chew on, to savor, and to enjoy...along with maybe a devotional now and then that spoke to me. I'm calling it "In Other Words Wednesdays"...look for it beginning tomorrow.

Thank you again for your prayers, encouraging comments, and love...you all mean so very much to me!!

Be blessed,

Deena

2 comments:

Sharon Brumfield said...

I THOUGHT I left a comment here because this had touched me.God has been dealing with this area. I study and study and still i can feel dry.I need my own food. That gives me a thought. Gotta go.

Nise' said...

Yep, been dealing with this same issue. God has shown me that spending time in his Word for just me is not indulgent or a waste of time! It is my life and food.