»

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

If You're Lucy...Then Where's Ethel?

I recently had a conversation with a dear friend that went something like this:

Her: "I just thought you didn't need me. You have so much in your life..."

Me: "Huh? I thought you didn't need ME. You always seem to have it all together..."

It was then the light came on and we both realized that we had been duped by the devil into thinking we were dead weight...useless...not needed. (ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but you get my point?)

When did we ever get the idea that the Christian life was meant to be lived solo? That we were more than capable of getting the job done, and doing it better, if we did it all ourselves? That fellowship is a four letter word, and it only leads to heartache and pain?

Too many women are feeling isolated from their churches, and their hearts are longing for a "kindred spirit", a "soul sister"...someone who totally gets them, and even if they don't totally, they are ok with the parts they don't get.

We end up feeling like little girls lost, alone on the playground, never picked for the team, and always the one being whispered about.

And that is SO wrong!!

This is a tough topic for me, because for most of my life, I was that little girl lost. I have a hard time making and keeping friendships, mainly because I've never really thought much of myself, therefore others don't think much of me either (or so I thought).

But praise God I've been given some wonderful, Godly women in my life as friends, and they are teaching me how to love God, love me, and love others. At times they are even capable of helping me feel like I'm nifty-cool!

We need each other. You may never have a "posse"...but you need a pal...a gal-pal who'll help you laugh, learn and love. And she's is out there. You may even know her right now. Pray for her, and for you to know her when you see her.

Don't assume that someone has it all together...most likely, it's probably an act designed to keep her safe and secure. Don't assume that she's the life of the party...most likely, she feels alone in a sea of faces. Don't assume that she's more spiritual than you and would judge you...most likely, she fears raising her hand in God's classroom and looking like a fool.

So, "Lucy"...who's your "Ethel"? And remember...even the Lone Ranger had Tonto...

Be blessed, and let someone be your blessing today...God has a friend prepared for your heart...so don't look with your eyes...look with your heart.

Deena

2 comments:

Nise' said...

You said "Don't assume that someone has it all together...."
This is where I am right now! God has really been showing me the lies that I have been believing and this is THE. BIG. ONE! He just keeps reminding me where ever I go... He is so awesome! I love Him!

Sharon Brumfield said...

I love my girls!I can't share everything with all of them but thank God for the ones who can take you just as you are. The other morning one of the women told me you always look so put together. I almost looked over my shoulder. And then I almost said -you are joking right? Bless her heart I think she might need glasses. I never want to wear that title. I can be needy and unkept just like the next person.It has been a long road but God is providing some neat women in my life.