»

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Come On, Baby, Let's Do The Twist!!

Philippians 4:6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God...

I read that and thought, "Hey, I've got that Scripture nailed down!" Felt pretty good about it, too, until I realized that Paul wasn't saying do it for free...

1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light...

Again, thinking, "Cool! I have this one down pat!"...til I realized that Peter didn't mean be an oddball for Jesus.....

So you can see how easy it is to get Scripture twisted a little. Of course, I'm being a little silly here (no, really!)...

We need to read it in context...what came before, what comes after, and what's the overall message of the text.

We need to really meditate on it...soak it up into our souls.

We need to discuss it with others, hear their thoughts, and share ours with them.

We need to be taught, through Bible study, Sunday school, and messages at church.

We need to pray and ask God what He wants us to understand about His Word.

For instance, I read this one day: "Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise...the fruit of lips that confess His name," Hebrews 13:15.

I asked, "Lord, what is a sacrifice of praise? Do I offer them to You?"

And He showed me. When I'm tempted to focus on circumstances, on life's troubles, to host a pity-party...and I praise His name and give thanks for what He has done in my life and in the world around me...

That is a sacrifice of praise...praising God when I don't wanna.

And He's teaching me to offer these sacrifices to Him more and more and more...

So, let's NOT do the twist...there's enough manipulation of the Word...let's get back to being people of the Book...and get to know the Author better and better.

Any twists you'd like to share???

Be blessed, and be a blessing to others (now, by that I don't mean you're God's gift LOL!! "Hey, you'd better be thankful for me...I'm your blessing~~!!)!

Deena

0 comments: