»

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Oh, no! My Eggs!

Yesterday I was making lunch for my family. They like breakfast burritos any time of day, and I'm trying to be a good steward, using what I have before going out and getting more.

I chopped up the leftover ham, and browned it up in my skillet. Then I began to add the eggs, cracking them one at a time. Suddenly, the egg carton tipped, threatening to dump the rest of its contents on my kitchen floor. I gasped, grabbing at it with one hand while stirring with the other.

I had been mindlessly pulling the eggs out one at a time, not realizing the carton wasn't balanced on the countertop (my counters are just a SMIDGE cluttered). The remaining eggs were all on one end...the end pointed at the floor. A little off balance and gravity does the rest.

After moving the remaining eggs to the center of the carton, it hit me...Those eggs are my life. I know, weird, huh??

I give, but don't let anyone give to me. I do for others, but refuse help from anyone in my life. I blog, but I rarely read God's blog to me (the Bible). I work, but don't get enough rest during the day. I share, but I don't expect anyone to share with me. I pray, but I'm reluctant to ask anyone to pray over me.

I'm out of balance.

And, just like my washing machine when it gets out of balance, something starts knocking inside of me...it's Evil Gertrude, wanting out of her cage! She always appears when I'm tired, stressed, overworked, underfed (from God's Word), and roams free until I can find the spiritual strength to put her back in her place.

And my family ends up like those eggs almost did...out of balance and nearly crashing and burning. Because it's always my family who suffers most when I get out of balance. Even if all of the doing and going and giving is for them, eventually I burn out and get crabby and cranky and resentful toward them..."When will it be my turn???????" I tend to cry out in frustration.

Those eggs couldn't move themselves so that they didn't go splat...and neither can I. I need God's hand in my life to shift around priorities, loads, and burdens in my egg carton of a body, so that things stay in balance and don't tilt out of control. I need His wisdom, His Word in my life, showing me areas of weakness, independence and even outright rebellion.

I'm so out of balance it's amazing the entire world isn't tilted. And I'm not doing anything bad...it's just that sometimes we can get caught up in doing too much good. So, I'm working on my priorities with the Father's gentle hand guiding me. I don't know what He's going to do with me yet...but already I feel at peace.

My eggs are safe. And my life is safe in Him. Oh, and the burritos?? They were delish!

How about you? How balanced are you?

Be blessed, and then spend some time with the Father today...let him rearrange your eggs...you know it's good for you!

Deena

2 comments:

Susanne said...

I love it when God can speak a profound biblical truth through everyday things like tipping eggs!

Anonymous said...

thanks for visiting my blog
interesting how you linked
the eggs to you
sometimes it hard to accept help from others
Ive found this reading study plan has really helped me this year - www.oneyearbibleblog.com