»

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Question of the Week, March 24-31, 2007

Based on Philippians 2:1-4, list the characteristics Christians should have, and how much do you see in your own life?

1If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. 3Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. 4Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.

Oh, wow...I TRY to do things because I want to honor Christ and serve others...but sometimes I do things just because I feel better about myself if I do them. Which would make them done in selfish ambition or vain conceit.

I'm in no way trying to "puff myself up"...but just to feel worth something. To feel like I matter. Which falls in the same category, like it or not.

I never really thought about it much till now.

And where Paul says "in humility consider others better than yourselves"...I don't think he means it the way I tend to take it. My translation always reads a little something like this:

"Wow, Beth Moore is such a great Bible teacher. I could never teach like she does."

"Man, I wish I had the confidence and skill at leading like L does...I could never be in charge of anything...I'm too forgetful."

"V cooks like a pro. I could never have her over for dinner...it would be like inviting Martha Stewart to dine with Rosanne Barr."

See what I'm getting at? That's not the humility Paul talks about. He cautions against getting puffed up and thinking we're better than the rest. Against thinking, "Man, that lesson rocked! Let's see D teach like THAT!"...more along the lines of what Paul is saying.

But, sin is deceptive. We can think we are exhibiting the traits Paul writes about, and be fooling ourselves. Which is why we need to always pray, "Lord, look into my heart, and see the wicked way in me. Reveal it to me, and change me, that I may be more like You."

How about you? What are your thoughts?

Be blessed...and in humility bless someone else today!

Deena

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love verses like these where God just lays it all out for us. There is no guessing what God meant, it's all just there, plain, simple, and practical!

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Yes!! Good post!!! One thing I really try to do is not judge others- no matter what. Because just like my own life, people don't know where you've been, where you've come from. As a Christian, I want non-Christians to view me as a REAL HUMAN and not someone that is intimidating. I always want to be "open" to showing love to everyone. That, to me, is very Christ-like. You've given me a lot to think about here, too!!

Steph

Sharon Brumfield said...

I need to come to this site before your other site. I love where your
mind wanders. Good post. Can we recognize where we were and where God has brought us with out thinking we are further along than others. Real life thoughts from someone who does not want to get caught in the snares of pride.