»

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Feast...Or Famine?

Thank you to all who posted advice and comments for me yesterday. I'm taking your words to heart, and I do appreciate you stepping up and helping out.

I think one reason, if not the main reason, we struggle with saying no is our faith. Somehow, somewhere along the line, we've bought the lie that we are to lay down our lives for others, and to be so self-sacrificing that we practically disappear.

Lately I feel like my faith in Christ is used as a weapon against me. Someone caught in a sin will say things to me like, "I thought you Christians were supposed to love everybody."

We are, but that doesn't mean we have to accept what they do.

Another one I've heard is that "You never say no to your church; you're placed there to serve."

We are placed there to serve, but we serve Christ, and He guides us in how to serve one another.

Satan knows he's defeated. He knows he has pretty much one last gasp for air before Jesus returns to whip him and his minions. I believe he knows the end better than we do.

He's not content to persecute us from outside. Now he's doing it from within our own ranks. This isn't any big shocker; he's been doing this for a very long time. But now he's doing it with a twist.

He knows Scripture better than many Christians do, and he's taking full advantage of our lack of knowledge. When he takes Biblical concepts and warps them, and we don't know enough to defend ourselves and do so with confidence...we are in a world of hurt.

Hosea tells us that God says, "my people are destroyed from lack of knowledge",
(4:6).

Amos warns us that ""The days are coming," declares the Sovereign LORD, "when I will send a famine through the land—not a famine of food or a thirst for water, but a famine of hearing the words of the LORD. Men will stagger from sea to sea and wander from north to east, searching for the word of the LORD, but they will not find it", (8:11-12).

How sad for a starving man to live in a warehouse of grain! How much more to live in a country that is glutted with Bibles, in a variety of translations and a rainbow of colors...and we are starving for God's Word.

I know I've fallen victim to those lies I mentioned above. Any lies satan has convinced you are truth, only to find out they don't exist in Scripture? Let's debunk some of his urban legends, and set the record straight today!!

Be blessed, and may you have a deep insatiable hunger for His Word!

Deena

3 comments:

Cassandra said...

YOu have been tagged@ Look at my site for details!

Nise' said...

Truth, truth my sista! We all fall prey to those lies.

I read your commentto my IOW post and then had to go and fight traffic to pick up my son and let me tell you thinking about those words made me a kinder, gentler driver and the road!!

Anonymous said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog!