»

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Off The Richter Scale!

I hang out a lot of places, both online and in every day life. I talk with a lot of Christian women, and I consider many of them my spiritual big sisters.

I've noticed one common thread in nearly every conversation or blog post. We're all experiencing major upheaval in our lives.

Either with health, finance, children/family, or employment--the earth is shaking, and we find ourselves quaking...and wondering why? Why, God, why?

As I said, these are mighty women of God. One has been battling illness since January 1; a variety of mysterious ailments has plagued my dear sweet sister. Another has battled on behalf of her children in ways my mind cannot begin to comprehend.

On this blogosphere, I've met a dear, passionate sister who is fighting off depression. Another undergoes surgery on Thursday for a brain tumor. Still another awaits a kidney transplant to save her life.

When I listen to these women talk, their words are coated with grace, anointed with His wisdom, and their lives match their talk. But I've never seen such trials hit with such speed and fury.

In my Bible study, God revealed something to me. I thought I'd let you try this on for size.

Earthquakes are pretty common here in California. We've learned to expect them. In recent years, these tremblers have revealed some new fault lines that we need to watch out for. And that's been a good thing: it keeps people from building homes on them, establishing businesses over them, and gives us an idea where the earth is weakest and most likely to shake.

What if God is allowing all of these trials and tribulations into our lives in order to reveal where we are weakest, where the ground we are standing seems solid but is actually shifting sand? What if God is preparing us for a quake to end all quakes, and He knows we need to know ourselves like we've never been known?

I feel a move of God coming. I feel it in my family, in my church and in my community. I talk to a lot of people, from all walks of life. They have shared with me that they feel it too.

So, is your life off the richter scale lately? Praise God for that. He's revealing your true character so that you can both take heart and change position. He's opening our spiritual eyes so that we can see His mighty hand and know Who our Redeemer truly is.

As Americans we can easily fool ourselves into thinking we are relying on God when we are actually leaning on our own understanding. We can rest on the shoulders of loved ones instead of resting in His mighty arms of grace. We can be so consumed by what our brothers and sisters in Christ think and want and forget to listen to His still, small whisper of approval and will.

So, can we say, "Let the quakes come, Lord, if they will make me more like You"? That's my prayer. What's yours?

Be blessed, and let the Father make you quake-safe!

Deena

0 comments: