»

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Minds Gone Wild!!

Today I watched "Wednesdays With Beth" on Life Today (James & Betty Robison). She's teaching a series on trusting God, and it is MARVELOUS...I would love to be able to teach and inspire like Beth Moore...and yes, I remember my post on wishing I was someone else vs. liking who I am......this is a godly envy:-)

She spoke today about how we tend to trust God in all areas of our lives...but not in that one thing. The one thing we tell God and anyone who will listen "If that ever happens, I won't be able to survive...I just won't make it."

She spoke of something I've heard of before, but never really thought much about until today. Maybe you've heard of it as well. It comes from Romans 1:21: "Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened."

Now, what I understand this to mean is simply a mind gone wild. You know, borrowing trouble, imagining the worst case scenario, worrying yourself sick over something...

Did I nail anybody with that besides me??? I'm famous for borrowing trouble...and I always pay it back...

But Jesus (and Jack Bauer) said, "Don't worry about tomorrow, today has enough trouble for it's own."

We do well just to get through one 24 hour period before we tackle another one. Which is not to say we shouldn't plan for the future...but that is nothing like what we are discussing here.

I tend to worry, "What if our daughter never comes back to Jesus?" and then project into the future the possible scenarios...telling God I trust Him in every area but this one.

I used to worry about what I would do when Dad/Mom/someone I loved died...and would stress and fret and think I would just melt in despair. And yet, here I am, with both Mom and Dad in heaven with Jesus...I'm not happy about them being gone, but my life is moving forward and I survived.

How much time did I waste worrying about them when I could have been spending time with them? How much time do I spend preaching at my daughter when I should simply be loving her?

Which I would have done, would do, if I trusted God in those areas of my life.

We love and trust Him in so many ways, but there is that one thing...we hold onto it for dear life, protecting it and shielding it...and telling God how we want Him to take care of it.

And when He doesn't do as we want Him to, we say, "See, I knew I couldn't trust You with it..." and justify our sin...totally missing the point.

So, I'm vowing to stop my vain imaginations...my wild imagination...my mind gone wild...and to trust Him. When I feel myself going into that state of panic, my stomach in knots and my head in turmoil...I will stand against the enemy and say, "No, devil. No more. I'm done with this..." and hand it over to my Father.

Lord willing and I draw strength from Him...this is what I vow to do. Please pray for me that I will be able to do this, and I will pray for you as well.

Please let me know what you think...

Be blessed, and reign in that mind..."We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ," II Corinthians 10:5

Deena

1 comments:

Nise' said...

I am nailed!!! I love it. I am so one of those people who imagine the worst scenario and then come up with how I would react and most of the scenarios I come up with will most likely never happen. I know from personal experience that God can and will get me through those circumstances that most people think "I would never survive". I will take that worst case scenario captive when it comes and quote Phil 4:13. Praying for you as well!