»

Friday, February 02, 2007

One More Trip Around, Ladies!

Someone I know and love very much has a mountain problem. She keeps making the same trip around it, around and around and around.

She reminds me of the children of Israel. God took them to the edge of the Promised Land, but they couldn't face the giants (hey, isn't that a movie?!), so the went round and round the mountain...for 40 years.

This sweet thing has giants in her land as well. Giants she can't face. Giants that she has met before and is on a first name basis with: fear, guilt, criticism, approval, worry, doubt..and a few more.

Every once in awhile, God takes her to the edge of her own promised land. She'll peer in the distance and then look up at Him and ask, "Giants still in there?" He'll nod his mighty head, she'll shake hers, and off she'll go around that mountain again.

I feel so sorry for her...which is wrong, because self-pity isn't pretty...

Yes, she is me.

I struggle with the same things over and over again. I'm tired of the scenery down here. I'm tired of the oh so familiar landmarks and the worn path.

But these giants loom large in my life. The nice thing is...and I've known this all along...

I know the Giant-Killer! I have Him on speed-dial! I just have to call out His name, in faith, and there we go!

The key for me most times is faith...mine is shallow and weak at the worst of times. But those trips around the mountain tend to strengthen it. They tend to grow it. They aren't totally pointless.

For the Children of Israel, it gave time for the doubters to die. For me, it gives time for my doubt to die. Then I look to the Author and Finisher, my Great Defender, and I am rescued.

I personally don't think I will come into my Promised Land until eternity. I think there are more trips around that mountain in store for me. But praise God the trips get shorter each time and the victories get richer...and one day I'm going to make it.

'Cause I don't want this song sung at my funeral: "She'll be coming round the mountain when she comes..."

No, I want this one: "There's a land that is fairer than day........"

Be blessed, and bless someone (maybe make a trip round her mountain with her today),

Deena

1 comments:

Pastor Dave said...

I want to say something, but I'm not sure what to say.....I've been on the same journey....I can relate....God has gifted you. Thanks for being here for me.

Love ya,
Dave