»

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

A Work In Progress...

This is from our study book on page 40, and it brought me great hope and relief:

"Though I'm not yet what I ought to be, thank God, I'm not what I was. And neither are you. For 'He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus,' Philippians 1:6 assures us. Though we may not see the finished product until heaven, you can be sure that what God has started, He will finish. And as long as we daily relinquish control of our lives to Jesus Christ, our transformation will continue."

Isn't that great news!! We're not finished products yet!

Which means that all of the warts and bumps and rough edges and flaws are ok...just as long as there aren't as many today as there were yesterday.

Of course, that also means that there's still transformation yet to be done. And I don't know about you, but sometimes that process HURTS! Sometimes I get comfy-cozy as I am, and don't want to be unraveled and reformed. Sometimes I take the lyrics to the old hymn Just As I Am a little bit too literally...and add a few of my own:

"Just as I am, without one plea, But that Thy blood was shed for me....
O Lamb of God, I come...and I'm done."

Truth is, none of us are complete. None of us are perfect, and none of us are what we should be.

For those who believe they have arrived....I'm sorry, but you done fell out of the boat a ways back!!

When we realize that we are all in the process of sanctification (a big word that means being changed God's way), we can overlook some of the things we do to each other. We can pray for each other.

"Lord, I'm tired of Susie talking to me that way. Could You hurry up and either soften her tongue or toughen my skin?"

We can encourage one another in the changes we see happening in each other's lives. "Janet, I just love the way you pray. It's like you know just what the Father wants you to say."

We can share our burdens, and the areas in which we are desperate for change to come. "You all can pray for me to have more faith and trust in my God...sometimes, it's strong as thick rope...other times, it's as thin as wet spaghetti."

We can be encouraged...because we are in process.

Of course, that means we must walk in the Spirit in order to realize it and live like it. Utmost patience is required for anything occuring in process (i.e., layaway, pregnancy, weight loss, and sanctification). We must bear one another's burdens, we must pray until it hurts (right, Pastor Dave?), and we must never lose heart.

I've heard from many women over the last few weeks about children who are wandering in the desert of the world. It is so hard to wait for a loved one to be made into what God wants...it's even harder to wait for them to get back on the sculpting table.

Keep praying. Surround yourself with warriors of prayer. And keep in mind, He's not done yet. Praise God, He's Not Done!!!!!!!!!

So, be encouraged, dear friends. We're all works in progress....and what beauties we'll be when the Father says, "Done."

Deena

0 comments: