»

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Where's Your Focus??

In Terms of Nearsighted Vision:

This is an on-going battle with my kids...maybe you fight it, too. They can watch 2500 television shows, but let me say no to just one particular show, and they obssess over getting me to change my mind.

Or, I decide to watch what I eat, pick a plan that allows hundreds of choices, and the one thing I'm not supposed to eat I crave till I go crazy in the head.

Or, I buy 30 of the newest releases in Christian fiction, and a new one is due to be released in a week, and I focus on how to get that new novel as quickly as possible, ignoring the others I just HAD to have when they came out.

Instead of seeing what we have, we focus on what we don't have...and we get frustrated and discouraged, ultimately becoming ineffective.

Where's your vision? Is it on what you have, or don't have? My husband cannot sing, but man, can he preach!!

I can't sew worth anything, and my housekeeping leaves a lot to the imagination--imagine it's clean, ok? But I've been told I can write and teach.

My kids are allowed to do certain things their friends can do, and some things I say no to. But they have more freedom than they realize they have.

Esther, a sweetie at our church, cannot see well anymore...with her physical eyes, that is. But spiritually, she is twenty-twenty...and man, can she pray!!

In Terms Of Farsighted Vision:

My oldest sister recently considered lasic eye surgery to correct her vision. Since we both have the same vision issues, I was interested in what she found out.

In order to know if the surgery would work for her, she was given two different contact lenses: one for seeing close up, one for seeing distance. If her eyes could adjust wearing both, and switching off depending on what she needed to see, she could qualify for the surgery.

It drove her brain crazy.

She didn't have the surgery. Neither will I.

Sometimes I wonder if that isn't what's wrong with the church today. We are trying to see eternity with one eye while focusing on the here and how with the other eye.

It will drive us crazy. I just don't believe we were meant to live that way.

So, back to my heading...where's your focus?

This is a two-fold issue, I realize...on the one hand, I'm talking contentment with what blessings we have, what triumphs we have, what work we have to do.

On the other, I'm talking about setting our sight on things above, and not on things below. That is the key to both. Because if we are focused on God's face, we won't see ours quite so clearly. If we are focused on His will, what others say won't ring so loudly in our ears.

If we are focused on how He has blessed us, satan won't be able to distract us with our current troubles.

So, where's your focus? Do you need to see the Great Physician for an eye exam? I hear He's taking appointments. And He's always accepting new patients.

I'm making my appointment right now.

See you later!! **giggle**

Deena

0 comments: