»

Monday, February 26, 2007

Receiving Answered Prayer

Ok, I'll admit it. Sometimes I pray and then I'm surprised when God answers.

There! Ya happy now??

We've been praying for two years that our oldest daughter would come back to Christ, and as a result, would come back to us.

A miracle is happening, and our prayers are being answered.

And what do we do?

"Are You SURE, God? I mean, we thought this once before, and we got fooled. Are You SURE this is it?"

And then we lurked in the shadows, looking for the hidden things we've missed and watching for the "trap" being laid for us to stumble into.

Shame on me!

Last time, I didn't wait for Him before I plowed ahead.

Last time, I didn't pay attention to the check in my spirit over the whole matter.

Last time, I stopped praying when I thought I had received my answer.

Last time, I took control and tried to force a stubborn, round peg into a rigid, square hole.

But this time I totally surrendered, and felt peace for the first time in 2 years. I felt calmness that transcended what I was dealing with. And I rallied the troops to pray with a force to rattle the heavens.

So, why am I so shocked? Why am I so suspicious? Why am I so uncertain?

Like Rhoda in Acts 12:14, my spirit cries out, "The miracle has happened! The prisoner has been released!"
And my fearful flesh says, "Oh, you're out of your mind!"

How long will my daughter have to stand at the door and knock before I trust God and let her in....

Excuse me, I have to get the door...

Be blessed, keep praying, and believe!!

Deena

3 comments:

Sharon Brumfield said...

I know what you are going through. Ours is a 17 year old son. We had been push to the brink of what this world would call insanity so many times. Our home was a place of tension and major stress all the time.Finally about 3 weeks ago--after talking to our pastor and telling our son these were the rules or else---he chose the or else and we asked him to leave. My heart broke. He is not only God's prodigal but mine. Our door is open to him if he chooses to abide by our rules. He has not come home. We know where he is but we do not hear from him often.
I thank God for protecting him from Satan's schemes to destroy him. He was raised "in the way he should go" so we know that "in his old age he will not depart from it". Keep pray! I will too!

Deena Peterson said...

Sharon, if you need a prayer buddy, I'm here. Mom's have their hearts broken time and time again by their wayward children, and sometimes it's prayers with someone who's been there, done that, and been there again that helps encourage us and keep us moving forward.
Just let me know, and my email is yours, dear sister!!

veronica said...

Rejoicing with you! Thank you once again for sharing your heart. In reality there are so many of us who are praying and waiting for our sons and daughters to come home from that distant land. After reading your blog I thanked our wonderful God for his mercy and grace. Deena continue to follow through with love and grace and rejoice in victory!